Thursday, March 22, 2007

Equal Justice

Day one of the Equal Justice Conference was excellent. I met the Governor and I attended some very informative workshops:

  • Youth At Risk: The focus of this workshop was on youth in the foster care system who emancipate or "age out" of the system. There was one speaker there who had indeed "aged-out" of the system after seventeen years and twenty foster home placements. She went from a group home, to homeless, to the sex trade, to motherhood, to college in the fall. It's a heartbreaking story with an unlikely ending.


  • Holistic Legal Services: Good workshop. Great discussion about homelessness and proactive measures for uniting legal and mental health professionals. There was one very overbearing guy who tried to control the whole discussion from the audience. I am glad I attended this workshop because now I can avoid the other (quite) interesting workshop where overbearing guy is the lead panelist.

This conference has really reinforced my commitment to equal justice and public interest law. The speakers are so passionate about their causes and most of them are really good at what they do. In five - maybe ten - years, I see myself leading a workshop on poverty law or children's rights. I think I've finally found my niche and it feels...comfortable.

No comments: