Thursday, April 19, 2007

Yes, But Can You Make Espresso?

A funny thing keeps happening to me. I will get a call or an e-mail from a place, sometimes a non-profit or, in this case, a federal agency that wants to interview me. Fine. Great! I get all worked up worrying about what I'm going to wear, whether there will be nearby parking, or whether my lips will become chapped from all of the butt-kissing I intend to do. Lately, my anxiety has been all for naught.

In my interview today, I was only asked one "interview" type question: Have you always been interested in _____ law? That was it. The rest of the interview was spent complimenting my resume. The very same resume that Career Services deemed unequal to my classmates. I didn't realize there was such a demand for waitresses and baristas these days. How stupid of me to think my extensive management skills could even compete with the skills required to operate the espresso machine at Peet's.

Today, it mattered little that I could brew a cup of coffee. I actually breathed a noticeable sigh of relief when my interviewer fell to her knees and begged me to come work for them. However, we both agreed she would operate the espresso machine until my coffee making skills improve. I think it's a good compromise.

No comments: