Friday, July 27, 2007

Like George Michaels said: You Gotta Have Faith

I often say that I'm not a religious person but that I am a spiritual person. I separate the two based upon my own personal belief system: I don't believe in a higher power or omnipresent deity. I do believe in the power of meditation and yoga. I also believe in the power of positive thinking to elevate my mood, but not to help me get a new car or garner untold riches. I don't fault those who ascribe to religious tenets. It's just not for me. Besides, I'd never attribute so much power to an invisible third party.

But recent events in my real life, and in the blogosphere, have convinced me that a lot of modern miracles really are not the result of god, but are achieved by modern science wielded by tangible people.

Through MySpace (I know, I know), I reconnected with an old friend from high school. She was nearly blind when we lost touch following the birth of my second child. In the years since we've been out of contact, she's completely lost her sight and has had emerged victorious despite a brain tumor. She's 31 years old - the same age as I - but has lived through more than I could ever imagine; she's creating beautiful paintings (see above) and inspiring others with her strength and positivity. She's a modern day heroine and, aside from my mother, she is the strongest woman I know.

Was her "miracle" achieved through the grace of god? No, but its still a story of faith. And, really, that's all it takes.

2 comments:

Mongrels are raising themselves. said...

Hey now - who's got bad stuff to say about MySpace? I know, some bad stuff happens there but where does bad stuff NOT happen?
Love your blog -
1LW

LawSchoolMom said...

I just nod my head when my fellow soccer moms berate MySpace. I'm CERTAINLY not going to cop to being a part of it.