Monday, October 15, 2007

We're Gonna Party Like It's 1969

We attended two parties on Saturday: a CU Football party and a Hippie DINK birthday party. Needless to say the Hippie DINKs know how to party. Oh. My. Gawd. I haven't been that drunk since -um- 1L. For those of you just joining this broadcast, the Hippie DINKs are my neighbors. They have no children (NK), appear to spend their days sleeping, eating, baking (not with flour and eggs) and, from the "love bites" on the their necks, fucking an awful lot.

The Hippie DINK birthday party invitation was impromptu and given after we'd already agreed to attend the CU party so we did what any self-respecting couple would do - we went to the CU party, had dinner, mingled a bit and left before half-time. We got home, tucked the kids into bed, waited for them to fall asleep, then hopped over the fence to join the Hippie party already in progress.

Low lights, the soothing sounds of Sarah McLachlan and the smell of incense greeted us. We were uncertain and clung to each other for awhile. I was glad I'd brought a glass of wine and a Fat Tire suddenly appeared in Madhubby's hand. We relaxed a bit. We had some cheese. No one threw mud at me or preached about the evils of The Man when I answered the "so, what do you do question" with "law school." Madhubby was roped into a strange board game that's a cross between shuffleboard and bumper pool but in which baby powder plays a vital role. Then, it happened.

I was invited to the basement. Tequila was poured. A blown glass pipe was passed around. And then someone started playing the Bongo drums. Before I knew it, I was part of a full-on drumming circle. I could feel the atmosphere very rapidly changing from party to orgy and I wanted no part of that.

But, for a moment, it was so surreal. I'm 31 for goodness sakes! When I was in my early twenties, I thought 30 was so old and that nobody over 30 really partied. I mean, I don't go to parties and get wasted and sleep with random people (I never did), but apparently some people - who are over 30 - still do. And they live right over the fence from me. Far out.

No comments: