Thursday, July 3, 2008

Clogging Arteries Since 1969

I want my children to experience all the joys this life has to offer. Ok, not all of them. Just the ones that don't involve midnight visits from the police. I've been there and done that and can honestly say there is no joy when cops and handcuffs are involved. It sounds hot, but it's more uncomfortable than sexy.

To widen their horizons I took them to Long John Silver's. Yep, I went there on purpose and not because it was convenient. And going there in no way diminishes my environmental self-awareness because it was a cultural experience. If it weren't for LJS, my poor babies would still think a hush puppy was a shoe.

See, where I grew up NO food got a deep fryer pass. If it could be eaten, then it could be fried. Fried chicken, fried okra, fried oysters, fried alligator, fried corn, even fried Twinkies, because the outside of the Twinkie should be just as unhealthy as the inside of it. When I was younger, we didn't go LJS because the local guy selling fish out of rundown storefront was cheaper plus we all went to church together before I grew up and became a heathen.

Now, I live west of the Mississippi where soul food goes to die so LJS is the best I've got. It's not fresh seafood because we're landlocked but the kids didn't even notice. They LOVED the entire heart attack inducing meal. I think the next cultural food experience will be Getting the Most Out of a Pig and we'll start with Souse Meat.

1 comment:

EatPlayLove said...

I took my girls to McD's this week, sort of in the same vein. We are a "Good Times" family, so I thought my 4 year old needed to see what McD's was all about!

Have you taken the kids to White Fence Farms yet, if not you would love it... fried chicken delight!