Thursday, May 4, 2006

Found Money

In Pay It Down, Jean Chatzky discusses the concept of finding money in the household budget with which to repay debt. For those of us living on one income, finding money can be especially challenging. Nevertheless, it can be done.

During the past few months, I have kept an eye on our expenses and tried to find areas where we could cut back. I cancelled the cellphone because I don't really need one. I don't go out much during the day, so my daughters' school can always reach me at home. I cancelled the gym membership because the weather is so nice that I'd rather exercise by hiking or biking outdoors. And, lastly but certainly a biggie, we gave notice on our storage unit. I've been slowly moving things out of the unit and into the basement. Things that we no longer have a use for go to Ebay, Amazon.com or charity. It's been a great way to declutter, make a little extra cash and free up some room in the budget!

Total money found: $4000/yr.

No comments: