Monday, July 3, 2006

Childcare Challenge

Recently, I posted a solicitation on craigslist for someone willing to swap childcare. I thought it would be a great way to save money on childcare and find a similarly aged buddy for my son. I received three responses to my ad but now I'm not so sure that I want a stranger watching my son. Neurotic, I know, since anyone other than Madhubby or our immediate family qualifies as a stranger. Still, Bubba is very sensitive and he hates change and is very wary of new faces. Remember when I tried leaving him with the kind ladies at the gym? I'm not too anxious for a repeat experience.

However, I DO feel the need to continue (finish?) my education because in the long run, it benefits everybody. As an attorney, I can work from home and decide how many (or how few) cases I will take. And, the money can be pretty good.

The optimal situation would be Madhubby caring for Bubba. It worked out so well when Madhubby worked nights and cared for Olie during the day while I worked. He didn't get much sleep but Olie got excellent care.

So far, his requests to telecommute have fallen on deaf ears, which makes me so angry. We know there are other people in the company who telecommute and who have more responsibilities than Madhubby, yet he's required to be there basically for "face time." It's such a crock of crap that you can probably smell it from here.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a rant about workplace inflexibility -- this post was merely about my inability to find a workable childcare solution -- but inflexibility is part of the problem. I only attend class two days a week. Two days! I don't think the office will implode if Madhubby's not there to submit his TPS reports. It's just a hunch but until I can prove otherwise, Madhubby has to be at work in his cool ergonomic swivel chair all five days of the week. Unfortunately, I enjoy eating Cherry Garcia far too much to induce him to quit. Sigh. Back to the drawing board. Right now, taking Bubba to class with me is looking pretty good.

No comments: