Tuesday, November 7, 2006

I Can't Complain

I am usually such a good citizen. I vote, I obey traffic laws and I don't begrudge my fellow citizens their rights. This, year, however, I have fallen down on the job. I did not and will not vote in the county elections. I didn't set out to buck the system. It just happened.

Somewhere between the Angie Paccione and Marilyn Musgrave mud wrestling, I sort of gave up. I quit caring about which ways Bob was taking it (apparently, both) and just tuned out. My fingers automatically went to the mute button whenever a political commercial aired, which means we watched a lot of TV without sound for really long time.

So, today, while the fair citizens of Colorado are voting for the legalization of marijuana and against school improvements, I will be blissfully unaware. And, tomorrow, I won't complain. I won't complain about a voting contingency that cares more about maryjane than Mary and Sue. Nope. Not one criticism out of me. And, that's saying a lot.

***UPDATE: I've decided to vote. I can't keep my mouth shut about important issues that are affecting my community. So, I have to vote in order to secure my right to gripe about the idiots who (may) decide our state Constitution actually needs to define marriage as a union between "one man and one woman." Come on. I am so over that language.

Some other important issues at bar:

  • Amendment 42: Colorado Minimum Wage

  • Amendment 40: Term Limits for Supreme court and Court of Appeals Judges

  • Referendum I: Domestic Partnerships


I'll let you know how it all turns out in my post-election rant (oh, yeah. I vote, therefore I get to rant).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you decided to vote -- I was going to wait and see what you wrote tomorrow to see if subscribing to your blog still made sense to me!