Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Purple State of Mind

Despite the Democrats toppling the GOP for the open Governor's seat, our state is still firmly purple; conservative on some issues and liberal on others.

With 75% of precincts reporting, both Amendment 43 and Referendum I were defeated. I am very disappointed about this outcome. Amendment 43 will add the definition of marriage as "a union between one man and one woman" to our state Constitution and Referendum I would have recognized Domestic Partnerships and allowed those couples to enjoy health and property benefits. But, Colorado voters have spoken: if you're gay, then you're not welcome here.

I know that may seem a little harsh, but what else can one infer? Just to be clear, I voted against Amendment 43 and for Referendum I. I consider myself a middle-of-the road voter with conservative tendencies. Still, I am certainly not going to begrudge someone health insurance or the protection of the law, in a domestic violence incidence, simply because that person is in a same-sex relationship.

Sure, I may be biased because I know people in same-sex relationships, but same-sex couples are just as human as those of us in hetero relationships. They love each other. They are committed to each other. But, that's not marriage? Because voters, who may not even be able to define the word amendment, say it isn't. That's bulls**t!

Just like hetero couples, same-sex couples still need health insurance and no one should have to deal with the headache that is Probate court. Certainly if their partner is abusive or dies, people who choose same-sex relationships should have a voice. But, under Colorado law, they don't. It is disappointing. It is short-sighted. And, it's just plain ignorant.

***UPDATE: Rummy can't handle the truth.

No comments: