Monday, November 27, 2006

Live From Your Heart

Living from your heart means that you choose a life and a lifestyle that are true for you and your family. It means you make important decisions because they resonate with your heart and your own values, and not necessarily with those of others. Living from your heart means that you trust your own instincts more than the pressures from advertising or the expectations of society, neighbors, and friends. Don't Sweat The Small Stuff with Your Family by Richard Carlson

The long weekend has given me plenty of time to think about in which direction I would like my career to go. Although, I didn't need an entire week to come to a decision; the choice has been clear all along. I am happiest when I am working with people, whether its helping them pick out the best pair of jeans for their body or deciphering company policies. I am not suited for work which does not allow me to be the freedom to be the person that I am, which is why I am committed - more than ever - to a career in public interest law. Specifically, Children's Rights.

I began law school with a vision: a vision that I could use my law degree to help the disenfranchised. A vision that I could do better. The culture of law school, with its competitiveness and emphasis on money and status, robs so many of us altruistic souls of our vision; it clouds the way. But, I won't let it. I'm not educating myself to elevate my class, rather I am educating myself to give others choice; my gain will be their gain, too.

I know my choice means I will make less money than my friends in BIGLAW. But, it also means I will have a more balanced life than they. I will not be a slave to the billable hour. I will be able to see the fruits of my efforts in the lives of children for whom I advocate.

I am fortunate to attend a law school dedicated to public service. So dedicated, that we have a well-funded Loan Repayment Assistance Program (LRAP) that allows students like me - saddled with student loan debt - to pursue their dream of public service. It is an opportunity a lot of other students do not have.

So, I will live from my heart. I will set the example for my children: give back. In whatever you do, give back and be thankful that you are able to do so.

No comments: