Friday, April 13, 2007

The Paper Chase

All I have done for the past three days is work on my Sex paper. I've been pulling cases, then other cases cited in those cases, then furiously forcing it into my paper like a hyped-up gerbil.

Yesterday, I gave a PowerPoint presentation about - you guessed it - my paper. You know, the paper that is only sixteen pages long which means I still have fourteen more pages to write. I'm far enough along that a devastating statement like: Did you read all these cases about THIS issue before you started writing? would completely freak me out and cause me to lapse into a hysterical crying fit at the lectern. Luckily, no one said anything like that.

My Professor really likes my paper topic because - um - I sort of chose it because I knew she would really like it. I am a wee bit of a kiss-up but only in seminar classes. Put me in a class with more than twenty people and I clam up. I don't give a freak whether the Professor likes me, which is why I have no problem saying 'pass' even if I have done the reading.

Unlike seminar classes, classes with more than twenty students have anonymous grading so when my Professor reads my exam, he has no idea that I've missed a healthy amount of his class or that I'm the one who called him a wacko on the class message boards.

Although I really like this class and the paper, I just want it to be over. I need to reclaim my life. The only bonus is Westlaw and Lexis points, but even the lure of free stuff is not enough to surmount the boredom of writing a law school paper.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm feelin ya!! I'm on my way to my mom's house tomorrow so she can watch my munchkins while I try to fill myself with as much caffine as is humanly possible so that I can write my domestic violence seminar paper. I am so over it. Good luck with your paper!

And "hyped-up gerbil" made me giggle;-)