Tuesday, July 17, 2007

String Theory

See that violin? It's Italian. It's 266 years old. It's extremely rare with an estimated value somewhere in the six figures. This violin was gifted to Lizzie by her Nana two Christmas' ago, then returned when Lizzie decided playing the violin was "too hard," with the promise that it was still Lizzie's for the asking.

One school year of orchestra and several months of private lessons later, Lizzie's passion for strings was renewed and the violin was returned to our house. It is a beautiful instrument with wonderful tone, but it is completely unsuitable for everyday playing and the rigors of middle school orchestra, jammed into a locker with books, pencils, sack lunches and lip balm.

Of course my ex, who fancies himself a professional musician these days, disagrees. He wants Lizzie to forsake the shiny new student model I rented her and play the family heirloom (Nana is his mother, mind you). I don't think Lizzie has earned the right to play such a valuable instrument or, more aptly put, I think she's too young to appreciate it. She is only eleven. She likes shiny and new. In ten years time, maybe, but not now.

For now, I'm content to leave this treasure undisturbed. To let it increase in value and to decide its fate at a later time. Taking it to auction and placing the proceeds in a trust account for Lizzie has crossed my mind. Taking it to auction and using the proceeds to pay off my law school debt has also crossed my mind on a much regular basis.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

What a beautiful instrument! I hope your daughter continues playing, even if only for her own pleasure. I regret not keeping up with it. I took lessons again as an adult, but life got busy and I rarely pick up the violin anymore.

I agree, a student violin is more appropriate for right now. I don't think I could part with the heirloom though, it's much too special!