Friday, August 31, 2007

What is the Singular Form of Labia?

Dear Wyatt,
Thank you for the Bionicle. I wish I hadn't gone to your house even though you are my best friend.

My girl Olie has a way with words. Above is the actual text of the "thank you" letter she wrote her best buddy, Wyatt, with whom she shares an affinity for Legos. Earlier this week, while playing at his house, during their very first play date, Olie fell feet first into a basement window well and severely bruised her labium and urethra. She's been on Tylenol 3 and bed rest ever since.

Today she felt well enough to build her new Bionicle and pen that brief, but direct, "thank you" note. I suggested she might be a bit more sensitive to his feelings; his family feels very badly about the whole incident though I've assured them we're not the litigious sort. These things happen. Especially to my children. They have "big energy" coupled with their father's clumsiness and, honestly, it's surprising that Olie has managed to steer clear of window wells this long.

Still, the words Emergency room, vagina and blood conjure up frightening images for a lot of parents. This one included. But, we're getting past it. The swelling has subsided, she can pee without the Peri bottle and I've managed to mostly suppress my own anxiety by remembering that my days of stitches, Peri bottles, and hemorrhoids - otherwise known as childbirth - are well behind me.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

Your poor little girl! It makes me cringe just thinking about it. I hope she makes a speedy recovery!

Anonymous said...

OUCH!!! I still remember the time I flew down the hill on my bike, hit the brakes hard and went vagina first into the handlebars. I was bruised for what seemed like months. Not a fun place for that!!! I can't even imagine how much worse it is with stitches. Your poor little girl. :( Hope she recovers quickly!

Anonymous said...

Ok, had to leave two comments:

(1) OUCH! I see pain stars just thinking about it.

(2) LOVE the thank you note. It's wonderful.