Tuesday, September 18, 2007

It's All a Lie

Okay, I'm mad as hell. Law school is supposed to get easier after the first year! I've heard about the free time, the easy class schedules, the sleep. So...where is it? Are you hiding it from me?! Seriously, though, I have less free time now than I did as a 1L because, when I was a lowly 1L, I didn't have a job. Now that I do have a law job, I have other stuff to do. I've got project deadlines and meetings and articles and - not that I'm complaining - but, you know, it's a lot of ish. It's a heck of a lot more than I had planned for my third year. I was so looking forward to cruising.

Oh, I still read for class - most of the time. I'm reading something* for Poverty Law right now that is just not sitting right with me and it's just pissing me off because I'm supposed to be Ms. Poverty Law, but this article just makes me mad. Let's get this straight: Poor people are NOT A SUSPECT CLASS, so they get rational basis. Nothing more. No fundamental right to wealth or even a living wage. No 14th Amendment protections. Nada. What we oughta be talking about is public policy, not constitutional law. Why, oh, why is my professor making us read this stuff right now when we all know the answer. *sigh* Back to work a little less optimistic than I was two years ago about saving the world.

*39 Hastings L.J.

No comments: