Monday, December 17, 2007

Yet Another Exam Recap

I always get a bit frazzled around finals time. I know a lot of other people do, too, but I get crazy in a maybe I just won't show up for my final exam kind of way. Of course I always do show up, but for a split-second, or a few days really, I just want to check out, but most finals are never as difficult as I think they are going to be. This term, they were slightly harder only because the subject matter was - well - mushier; I tend to do better with code based exams.

Basic Criminal Procedure: Moderately difficult. The hardest part of the exam was confining the long essay answer to 850 words. No easy feat that but I managed to land exactly on 850 words. I think my classmates were having problems, too because nearly all of them were still furiously typing after two hours and fifty minutes (our exam period is only three hours).

Property: Easy. A 1L class that I skipped. Very typical multiple choice section followed by one essay questions. No word limits. Open everything (books, notes, supplements). I think I spotted all the issues.

Poverty Law: Frightening. I expected a difficult exam because eight-hour take home exams are inherently difficult. I didn't expect my professor to ask us to draft a majority opinion, a concurring opinion, and one (or more) dissenting opinions - on the first question. The second question was a synthesis question, which was a bit tricky too, since she'd told us many times during the semester there was really no way to read the cases together. Naturally, there were word limits. I think I did well, but I thought I wrote an 'A' paper for her class last semester, too, and we all know how that turned out. This term, I'm just hoping the curve is kind to me.

No comments: