Friday, March 21, 2008

Profoundly Simple

I have been reading The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography by Sidney Poitier and I like it.  A lot.  And not because Oprah says I should.  I like it because when the curtain of celebrity is pulled aside, Poitier is a simple man, not without his faults, who has a very basic philosophy of life that appeals to some latent, bucolic urge within me.  After only a few minutes of reading, I came upon this passage:

In the kind of place I where I grew up, what's coming at you is the sound of the sea and the smell of the wind and your mama's voice and the voice of your dad and the craziness of your brothers and sisters - and that's it.    

that has had me dreaming ever since of an idyllic island life replete with surf, sand, and family.  

No comments: