Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I am not Superwoman

This is my eighth semester of law school. You would think I have the hang of it by now. So why am I feeling so utterly overwhelmed this term?

We are three weeks into spring semester and I still have not found my rhythm. One class, Legal Analysis, is moving at breakneck speed. I read the reviews about this course and 80% of reviewers suggested taking Legal Analysis by itself because of the workload. Well, the average law student takes more than one class per term; I discounted those reviewers as whiners.

But, oh my gawd, the class is kicking my butt. Legal Analysis is a bar preparatory class. Our final exam will be a bar examination from a previous year. So we have in class exercises to prepare us for the exam. We have completed multiple-choice questions, essay questions, and most recently a performance test. Usually, the in class work ends up being homework. I am not so good at getting homework done because I have very little time for anything outside of class.

So I am floundering a bit. Add to the mix another class that requires reading unedited cases and then preparing a variety of motions on those unedited classes and I am already way behind at this point and feeling overly anxious about this semester. Thank gawd for Ambien or I might never get any sleep.

The next fifteen weeks of this semester are going to test me like no other semester has and I will either make it through with flying colors or I will dissolve into a messy, crying heap of epic fail. At this point, it could go either way.

4 comments:

Aidy said...

May I say first, that what you are doing right now is astonishing. I am impressed by the fact that you are balancing so many schedules and have not given up.

This semester I'm working full-time and taking three classes for my undergrad degree in Legal Studies, while being the mommy of a two-year-old. Obviously no where near the intensity of your schedule but you give me hope, that when I go to law school, I can tough it out because other women like yourself, have done it with great success. Keep it up!!!

sorel top said...

Been there. Done that. It sucks!

Hang tough! You're almost there. In a lifetime perspective, this time is just a blip on the radar. You CAN do it!!

LawSchoolMom said...

Thank you both for the confidence boosting comments!

@Vida_de_Chiqa: you absolutely can do it too. It sounds as though you already have great time management skills so you are well on your way to success.

Aidy said...

I see it as one day at a time. Thank you again for your encouragement!!!